Monday, November 11, 2019

Nailed It!

Over the summer Katy watched Nailed It! on Netflix.  During one episode in which contestants made a rainbow cake, I commented on how I once made a rainbow cake.  Katy, who is usually a non-responsive zombie while watching TV, magically heard me make that little comment and for the next few days asked to make a rainbow cake.

I finally caved, but convinced Katy to compromise on rainbow cupcakes.  I thought rainbow cupcakes would be easier, which I now suspect to be incorrect.  It took forever to separate all the batter, color it, and carefully pipe it into the muffin liners in equal amounts to ensure we'd have enough of each color for all the cupcakes.  But Katy had a blast and the final product looked really pretty.  So I'd say we Nailed It!





Speaking of nailing it, we nailed halloween this year. 


When I first suggested the Cat in the Hat to Katy, she was not on board at all.  Two things changed her mind:  (1) We checked out the book "El Gato con Sombrero Viene de Nuevo."  Katy loved this book because (warning: spoiler alert coming!) there were so many little cats hiding in the striped hat.  (2) I told Katy I would make her a fish in the fish bowl to use as a candy bucket. 

The planned costume: short sleeves, no hat, no gloves. 

I made this little fish using leftover felt and stuffing. 

The post-cold front costume: long sleeves, gloves, and a hat.
We made a last minute trip to the thrift store on Halloween.
Katy's costume turned out so cool!  I loved everything about it!  Her fur, her hat, her curled tail, her bow with cartoon stitching, her striped socks, her whiskers, and her fish bowl.  It was just perfect!

While Katy's costume was fairly easy to make, I decided I wanted the twins to have some big blue yarn wigs.  So I recruited my mom to help me sew their wigs.  Many hours went into sewing these wigs but they turned out SO. STINKIN'. CUTE.  Babies in over-sized wigs is seriously one of the cutest things you will ever see. 


Once you've spent countless hours on Halloween costumes, it seems like no big deal to find someone to make matching custom mom and dad shirts. 


Grandma and Papo were visiting over Halloween!
I love homemade Halloween costumes.  They are definitely more work and I'm not sure they save you much money in the end, but they look so great.  Yup, we nailed Halloween this year!

No comments: