Friday, July 29, 2016

Katy's First Car

Katy is very fascinated by cars and trucks right now.  She frequently exclaims "car" or "truck" upon seeing one.  She enjoys playing at the steering wheel after we park and I take her out of her car seat.  She makes deep, throaty car noises and high-pitched beeping noises when playing with or in a car.  And although I try to pretend it's not happening, I know Chris plays Gran Turismo with Katy, allowing her to drive the video game's steering wheel accessory.

Driving the car at Lowes
Helping Papi work on the car
Katy likes her baby dolls, but she also really likes cars.  Phew! She wasn't traumatized by that one incident where I may have accidentally locked her in my car with the keys and may have called the cops because I couldn't get her out.

My Aunt Linda gave Katy a swing for her birthday and I finally unpacked it this month.  When Katy showed more interest in the swing's box than the swing itself, I knew instantly what to make for her:  a car.  After about an hour and a half of cutting, gluing, and searching for accessories around the house, Katy had a pretty sweet cardboard ride:

Putting her key in the ignition slot.



Katy enjoyed climbing in and out of her car for several days, but it has since lost it's appeal.  I suspect the car will soon land in the recycle bin.  The swing, on the other hand, is a now a staple in our daily backyard play.  This is a huge accomplishment for a little girl who was once terrified of swinging.  

No shame in using tools to lure her into the swing

Katy's new swing set.
Katy fell asleep in my lap while swinging!
August 13, 2016 Update:

Cousin Elijah visited last weekend and LOVED Katy's car so much that he called it his car.  This was after cousin Max visited for a few days and also spent time playing in the car.  I added a reinforced rope to the front of the car so an adult could pull around all the kids climbing in and out.  The kids loved being pulled around, and I got a good workout.  The rope held up better than expected but sadly, the door did not.  It is now completely detached, which is not surprising given the rough way toddlers climbed in and out of it over and over and over for several days straight.  I found an old hinge and reattached the door, but I am not sure how long it will hold.  


No comments: