Saturday, January 30, 2016

Katy's First Birthday: Pancakes and Primary Colors

In honor of Katy's first birthday, Chris and I threw her a pancake party. I know Katy was too young to understand what was going on or make any memories, but she really did enjoy herself at the party.  She is always happy when there is lots of activity to observe, explore, and join.  

My favorite part of the party was singing happy birthday to Katy.  I put Katy in her table chair with her cake just out of reach, which made her a bit antsy.  When everyone began singing, however, her fidgeting halted instantly.  She simply watched in wonder as 20 people stood around her smiling and singing. When everyone clapped and cheered at the end of the song, Katy gave a huge smile, let out happy baby squeals, and clapped right along.  Katy's response made everyone smile and cheer even more.  Pure joy is infectious.

Chris and I tried to keep Katy's party simple and handcrafted.  There was no theme, just lots of pancakes and primary colors.  

The party room ready for guests!
Tia Vivian made a beautiful, yummy cake.
I doodled on the table runner.
I drew the sign. Chris built the stand.
I sewed card stock circles to make the garland.
I made Katy a birthday outfit.
Doing what she does best in a very puffy tutu.
With her Gigi.
With her cousin Elijah.
Cousins hamming it up, each in their own way.
Tia Vivian, the baker.
Katy and her buddy Leonardo.
Pancakes, fruit, and juice. 
Katy approved of the blueberry pancakes.
Yum, yum!
Just one candle to light.
Helping mom and dad open gifts.
Her first baby: she LOVES cuddling with it!
Katy with her friends: they're all male.  Dad's already worried.
Chris and I saved a small cake and our gifts for her actual birthday, which fell later during the week.  No longer stuffed full of pancakes, Katy had a blast eating her cake.

She likes to eat books; She must have known this was a book. 
Mini cake for a mini girl.
Cake is yummy!

1 comment:

laSonya said...

Bahahahah! Looking at her party was very similar to my birthday parties. . .recently! I loved it! Can you decorate for all my parties from now on?