Tuesday, November 8, 2016

One Evening Tee-Shirt Dress for the Win!

I've been itching to sew lately.  Yes, I have been sewing felt food for the last month in preparation for Christmas (I have a sneaking suspicion Santa will bring Katy a play kitchen this Christmas).  And yes, I recently sewed Katy's Halloween costume.  Nonetheless, I've been itching to sew something of my choosing, not something in preparation for an upcoming holiday.

On Sunday I found the Easy Tee-Shirt Dress tutorial on Francois et Moi.  That evening, I identified a few shirts in Katy's closet I could use for a tee-shirt dress.  On Monday, Katy and I headed to Hobby Lobby in search of some coordinating fabric for one of the tee-shirts.  Monday evening, after Katy went to bed at 8 pm, I started cutting:  

No turning back now!
In one evening, I started and completed this project!  It was a late evening but I was in bed before midnight, which is not so late for me. 




 I added double fold bias tape to the bottom of the skirt to give it a more finished look, and to help tie-in the pattern of the knit shirt.  This being my first time using bias tape, I made a few rookie errors that added a good thirty minutes the project.  

I created the pocket using the pocket dimensions from a gathered pocket tutorial by Dana on Made Everyday.   I had never sewn with knits before, other than making a tiny shirt for Katy's miniature stuffed Elmo, so I was a bit nervous.  I compensated by using a TON of pins and going slow.  I think the final product turned out pretty well, even though I decided not to gather the pocket in the end.

So many pins!


I'm a beginner sewer when it comes to clothing.  This is the second dress I've made for Katy, but it was a lot of fun.  And I can't get over the cost of the dress: $2 for the tee shirt at a local thrift store, $2.75 for the skirt fabric, and $3 for the bias tape.  It's an $8 dress for the win!

A rainy day here in the Valley!


3 comments:

sunbee said...

Love this! what's a good idea for boy outfits?

Unknown said...

Kimberly! It turned out beautifullyn and your daughter is the absolute cutest!

laSonya said...

AMAZING! Make me one!!!!!