Friday, April 13, 2018

A Letter to My Two-Year-Old

I found this unpublished draft of a letter to my two-year-old Katy while cleaning up my blog.  I remember writing it and then not posting it because it was so sappy.  But now, nine months later, I love it.  It's funny how in just a matter of months, some of these things have changed so much.  It's even funnier that although I say I wrote it for Katy, I probably wrote it more for me.

Dear Katy,

You are two-and-a-half-years-old, at the peak of toddler-hood.  Someday you may wonder what you were like at this age and if we're being honest, I may not remember the many details that make this stage of life so magical.  Here is my best attempt at capturing you world.
  • You like falling down, walking on your knees, spinning in circles, walking backwards, jumping, and doing somersaults.  You insist that I join you doing these things, even if I do not fit in the tent where you are jumping or it hurts to throw myself down on my knees on the bare floor.
  • You are finding your sense of humor and often do so with an exaggerated, fake laugh.
  • You frequently tell me that you are growing and that you are a big girl.  Although you readily admit big girls don't use diapers, you have no interest in being this type of a big girl.
  • You do not want me to help you buckle your seat belt, so much so that you tell me, "Mommy, go to your seat," as I watch you fumble with the buckles. 
  • You ask if you are putting your shoe on the correct foot, even after you have confirmed the other shoe is already on the correct foot.
  • You sing without shame in the library or the grocery store or during church. You frequently make up your own words.
  • You are shy around new people and places. You cling to me like glue at the library during story time.
  • You don't mind walking around with your shoes on the wrong feet.
  • You make up words and either laugh at how silly they sound or ask me how to say them in English.
  • You have discovered the concept of favorites.  Cherries are consistently your favorite food.  Barquito Chiquitito is consistently your favorite song.  All other favorites are subject to frequent change.
  • You have learned to tolerate brushing your teeth but still dislike washing your hair.
  • You continue to be a very messy eater.
  • You frequently need to dance when you are naked.
  • You talk all the time and I'm almost certain you sometimes start sentences without knowing how they will end.  For example, one time you asked me, "Mom, do you like...(looks around and then down at arms)...my arms?"
  • Seriously, you talk All. The. Time.  Especially if I'm on the phone.
  • You are learning to share. You tell other people to share as you pull things from their hands.
  • You are terrified of cockroaches.  One time you stepped on a dead one.  You screamed, shook, and tensed your body for almost a minute before I could calm you.
  • You love making art, reading, watching videos of animals, doing puzzles, and playing in water.
  • You like helping me cut vegetables in the kitchen using your red, plastic knife.  I constantly tell you not to cut your fingers.  When you see my cutting with a knife or scissors, you also tell me to be careful to not cut my fingers.
  • You like to cook at the stove next to me using your tiny play pot.  You insist on filling your pot with the same ingredients I am using and about 20 extra spices in very generous amounts.  You never want to taste your creations.
  • You are becoming more affectionate.  You tell me you love me and give me hugs.
  • You announce at random times that Jesus lives in your heart as you point to your chest.
  • You giggle way too much when hiding.
  • You gently run your hands across my face and neck when you wake up in the morning, if we happen to be sharing a bed.  This is one of my most favorite things in the world, so much so that I pretend to be asleep so you'll keep doing it.
  • You notice when I am frustrated or angry and ask me in the sweetest little voice, "mommy, are you happy?"
  • You are beautiful.  When I ask you to stop wiggling after I dress you, so I can see how you look, you tell me you are beautiful and run off.
I hope you enjoy reading this someday.

Love,

Mom

No comments: