Thursday, April 12, 2018

Leaving My Comfort Zone

A couple months ago, I started teaching a high school Spanish class on-line.  The thought of teaching other people Spanish was a little terrifying at first, but it has been a great way to challenge myself, have a little fun, and even make a (very) small amount of money.  It has also taught me that Katy is a wonderful child, capable of playing quietly next to me for 50 minutes.

Katy and I took our fist trip to Nuevo Progresso.  Our mission was to find a skirt for Katy's ballet folklorico class.  At first I was a little nervous about the trip, but it turned out we were surrounded by loads of winter Texas.  My ability to converse in Spanish also made me feel much more comfortable once there.  We even went back a couple weeks later to buy some medications.


Wearing her Folklorico skirt.
When I told Katy we were going to Mexico a second time, she moaned and said, "But I don't want to go to Mexico," as if it was somewhere she went all the time.  When I reminded her that we could walk on the big bridge over the river, however, she quickly became excited about the trip.  I guess Katy is becoming quite the international traveler, or at least a fan of large pedestrian bridges. 

One the bridge, enjoying the river.


I also started seeing an acupuncturist.  This is a big deal for someone who hates needles.  After several sessions, I am finally able to relax enough to fall asleep while tiny needles are hanging out all over my body.  While I am still a bit skeptical about the effectiveness of acupuncture, I was amazed one week at the acupuncturist's ability to eliminate some bad swelling in a bruise using nothing more than magnets.  I also love the cultural experience of feeling like I've walked into China when I enter the acupuncturist's office.

There are other more personal things happening that have pushed both Chris and I outside our comfort zones, things that require a lot from us but that also have the potential for so many good things in the future.  These endeavors make teaching a Spanish class, taking a trip to Mexico, or visiting an acupuncturist seem like amateur hour.  I look forward to when I can write about it all because that will mean we've made it to the other side, for better or worse.

1 comment:

laSonya said...

Yay for Katy being an international traveler :) Today Mexico, tomorrow Cambodia ;)