Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Casa Cama

Back in March, Katy moved out of her crib and into a new bed Chris built just for her.  She calls her bed "Casa Cama" (house bed).  Chris designed the bed with space for her play kitchen below and plenty of safety rails above, which are spaced according to building code (he is an architect, after all).

Disassembling the crib.

The new bed, ready to be used!
Shortly after installing the new bed, Katy discovered the hope chest my dad built for me.  The chest is filled to the brim with blankets.  After lying down on the cozy blankets inside the chest, Katy claimed the chest as her bed.  Her disinterest in her casa cama, which was still fairly new, made Chris a little sad. 

Discovering the chest and playing in it.

No more playing, just sleeping.
A week or two after Katy began sleeping in the chest, we took a trip to North Texas to visit family.  During this trip, I showed my grandma a picture of Katy sleeping in the chest.  I joked that my child was a vampire.  My grandma was not amused.  The next day, after a sleepless night of worry, my grandma urged me to make Katy sleep elsewhere for fear Katy's new bed should cause her serious injuries.  

As luck would have it, or more likely as an answer my grandma's prayers, Katy had no interest in sleeping in the chest when we returned from our trip to north Texas.  She was ready to return to her casa cama.  I immediately informed my grandma that Katy was no longer sleeping in the chest.  I did not, however, send my grandma a picture of Katy's casa cama.  I'm not sure how she would react to the ladder and elevated sleeping platform, even if the safety rails meet building code.     

No comments: