Wednesday, November 6, 2013

All Things Fish

I helped a youth group with an anti-Halloween fall festival last week. Yes, the fall festival was actually referred to as the anti-Halloween fall festival. The advertisement for the fall festival went something like this: "Avoid the pagan festivities of Halloween and come to the fall festival." I have been to my fair share of fall festivals designed to provide alternative activities on Halloween, but I had never been to one so blatantly advertising it's underlying purpose.

The youth group I work with was in charge of a game booth at the anti-Halloween fall festival. I decided on a simple game called "Go Fish."  The idea of the game was to land a ping-pong ball in the fish bowl to win fish.  I liked this game because I actually needed to buy a fish bowl for Mr. Fish, my recently acquired beta fish.  I no idea the game would turn out so cute!


I wanted to fill the fish bowl with live goldfish to give away as prizes.  My friend Juan was deeply distressed by this plan.  He advocated for the fate of the goldfish given to random children who lacked a fishbowl, fish food, or a desire to care for a fish.  Persuaded by his reasoning, I decided to give out these adorable fish themed prizes instead.

 

The bible verse on the paper matched the theme of the game and the theme of the anti-Halloween fall festival.

I was very pleased with how the booth turned out, but I'm not sure how the actual game went.  I may have skipped the anit-Halloween fall festival to engage in the pagan activity of handing out Halloween candy at home with Chris and Doug.  Oops!