Sunday, September 6, 2015

My Favorite Board Books

Katy doesn't have a lot of toys, but she does have a growing book collection because I love board books.  I love board books so much I started buying them before I was pregnant.  Currently, the following board books are my favorite ones to read to Katy:

1.  Hot Dog, Cold Dog, by Frann Preston-Gannon.

A rhyming book about opposites, this book is one of my favorites for several reasons.  The pages are much larger and sturdier than average board books.  The pictures are not only creative and adorable, but they feature re-occuring objects like rabbits, a coffee cup, and bones that are fun to look for on each page.  And of course, who doesn't like a book about dogs?

2.  Snow, by Uri Shulevitz.

A story about the excitement of a young boy surrounded by doubting adults.   The watercolor images alone are enough to make this book a favorite, but the text is equally artistic without resorting to the standard rhyming, rhythmic lines found in so many board books.  I found this book on clearance at TJ Maxx and bought it because it was cheap.  The more I read this book, however, the more I like it.

3.  Freight Train, by Donald Crews.

Another TJ Maxx find.  Simple text and colorful, graphic images convey the movement of a train using words like trestle and hopper.  What's not to love?

4.  I am a Bunny, illustrated by Richard Scarry.

This book follows Nicholas the bunny through the changes of each season.  Richard Scarry's illustrations are what make this book so fun to read.  The pictures are colorful, busy, and fill the entire page.  I also like the book's tall rectangular size.

5.  Apple Pie ABC, by Alison Murray.

A book about an adorable dog and fresh apple pie, this book couldn't be more American. Like most ABC books, this one features just a word or two for each letter of the alphabet.  Unlike most alphabet books, however, this one tells a story by combining the sparse text with pictures.  I like this book because each time I read it, I add my own text to link the sparse words together based on the story told in the images, making each reading a little different.

I should note that none of the above are Katy's favorite book.  Katy's favorite board book is a book called "Meow, Meow."  The book features large photos of cats photoshopped on brightly colored backgrounds with lines like, "Chloe the fluffy kitty has soft white fur, stroke her tiny tummy and maybe she will purr."  Needless to say, I'm hoping Katy's literary tastes will mature significantly as grows.

1 comment:

laSonya said...

Hmmmm, no book about California. . . . Perhaps I should look for a more captivating book to send :)