Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Duplo Blocks

Shortly after Katy was born, some friends gave Katy a set of Duplo blocks.  Although Katy cannot put the bricks together, she spends a lot of time exploring the different shapes, sizes, and colors of the bricks.  Her exploration, which began as staring at the bricks before putting them in her mouth, progressed to include rubbing the bricks on the floor, banging the bricks together, pounding the bricks on other objects, and poking her pointer finger in the small holes on the underside of the bricks.

While Katy meticulously examines the bricks, I sit next to her and build.

I build symmetrical shapes.


I build structures that use all of the pieces.



I spell.



I build people and furniture.



I incorporate other toys.


I make sure Katy has fun while I am building.


Katy recently learned how to pull bricks apart, which has seriously hampered my ability to build anything.  Most of my "building" now consists of tall towers designed specifically for Katy to pull apart.  Someday, however, Katy will learn how to snap the bricks together and then I will begin teaching her how to build.

2 comments:

laSonya said...

I want a set of Duplo blocks!!

Sirill Benton said...

I see you are ready for some lego now...