Friday, November 18, 2016

Falling Down and Getting Stuck

Today I fell.

I was outside with Katy and forgot Doug was outside with us.  I was busy sweeping and Katy was busy drawing with chalk.  Then I heard a skateboard rolling by on the street.  Doug hates skateboards.  He chases them down like prey, causing a lot of alarm to the skateboard's rider.  I immediately started yelling for Doug but could not find him.  I saw him just in time to watch him register the noise of the passing skateboard.  Doug took off in the direction of the skateboard, and I took off in Doug's direction.  And then I fell.  I forgot my bike, with Katy's trailer attached, was right in front of me.  I ran full speed into the bar that hitches the trailer to the bike and fell face down in the grass in front of me.  I continued to yell at Doug as I lay in the grass, wondering if my leg was broken, until I heard the skateboard stop.  As soon as the skateboard stopped, so did Doug's aggression.  When I eventually stood up to check on the skateboarder, who was fine, I saw Doug run by in pursuit of a cockroach.

Then Doug got stuck.

The cockroach fled under my car, which is so low to the ground that Doug would not crawl underneath it.  I ignored Doug's whining after the cockroach while I tried to regain my composure from the fall.  Several minutes later, I realized Doug had stopped whining for the cockroach.  I looked at the car and saw Doug had finally attempted to capture his prey, wedging himself under the car in the process.  I unsuccessfully attempted to lure Doug out with meatballs.  Katy thought this was great fun, and continued to offer Doug, "mas meat" while I went for the jack.  Katy innocently placed all of the meatballs out of Doug's reach, which made Doug's entrapment all the more stressful for him.  Eventually I rolled the jack into place, rolling over an ill-placed meatball in the process, and lifted the car enough for Doug to scamper free.

Today I fell face down in the grass while running full speed and Doug got stuck under the car while pursuing a cockroach.  It was a very eventful, and very disgraceful, 15 minutes.  

1 comment:

laSonya said...

Oh my. Was it a Monday ta boot?