Friday, February 10, 2017

Learning English

Katy recently started repeating English words, phrases, and sentences more frequently, which is entertaining because Spanish remains her dominant language.  When Katy says Happy Birthday, she does not pronounce the H in happy and she pronounces the rth in birthday like a soft r in Spanish.  The result is something like "Appy Burrdaye."   More recently, Katy heard Chris say, "Oh-uh, Spaghetti-ohs," when something fell.  Katy repeated the phrase as "Uh-oh, es-paghetti-ohs."  Chris found this particularly humorous because, in his words, "it sounded like my mom."  

Seeing Katy speak English is both exciting and anxiety inducing.  I want her to speak English and I know that by the time she is ready to start school, she will speak it more fluently no matter how much we emphasize Spanish.  At the same time, however, I fear that by learning English Katy will lose her ability and desire to use Spanish.  In short, I fear that this is the beginning of the end.

For now, all I can do is try to enjoy the changes as they come, which isn't as hard when Katy says things like es-phaghetti.  And I can start letting Katy watch TV...but only in Spanish.  I haven't given up hope altogether.    

No comments: