Monday, June 23, 2008

Four years and you still have the receipt?

During my last trip to the mall, I went into to Sears for the first time in, well, possibly ever. I was excited to find a nice, heavy-duty, non-stick roasting pan on clearance, something that I had needed for a while. As I made my way up to the check-out counter, I immediately knew something was amiss. Across the counter from the store clerk was a fragile and very elderly lady sitting in a chair that had obviously been provided to her from some dressing room or office. The clerk standing on the other side of the counter was staring down at the elderly woman with a blank expression, holding a crinkled receipt. In between the two of them was a sewing machine. As the clerk reached for her intercom phone, she said, "I understand ma’am, but I don't know how to refund your money for this sewing machine because it was purchased in May of 2004." Upon noting that the frail woman was comfortably seated, as if to say, "I will sit here until you figure out how to refund my money," I decided to find another register. The next register was surrounded by at least 6 people. The woman at the head of the line was slowly explaining that she had been searching for the perfect bathing suit. Finally, she had found it at Sears, but alas, there was only one in her size and that one bathing suit had a small hole and ink stain where some prior shopper had attempted to steal it by ripping off the alarm sensor. The lady still wanted the suit but was attempting to bargain with the clerk for a discounted price. The clerk was at a loss, as were the other customers in line. And that's when I decided that my $8 roasting pan was not worth the hassle. No thank you Wal-Mart, uh, I mean Sears.

No comments: