Sunday, January 17, 2010

A House Divided


Chris is a huge Dallas Cowboys fan, so his shirt in this picture is understandable. My Minnesota Vikings outfit, however, is probably somewhat surprising. A couple weeks ago I told Chris that I would be cheering for the Vikings to win the Superbowl because (1) Favre needs to redeem himself after failing to retire twice and betraying the Packers, and (2) the Vikings have never won the Superbowl before. Somehow this sincere but passing statement escalated into a challenge to wear a Brett Favre Jersey during the Cowboys-Vikings game today. Not willing to pay upwards of $60 for a Favre Jersey, I decided to make my own. In the process, the Jersey transformed into a preppy sweater with a matching scarf. Not to be outdone, Chris made his version of a Tony Romo Jersey to wear while we watched the game today.

The finished products turned out awesome. I was especially proud of my sweater, and I told Chris I wanted to go to a Vikings game so that I could wear it in an environment where it would be appreciated (because it was not appreciated in my home). Then I asked him where the Vikings play, thinking it was Minnesota but not sure. Clearly, my decision to cheer for the Vikings had nothing to do with their home state.

I failed to photograph our homemade shirts until the fourth quarter of today's game. By that point, Chris was not in the mood to pose, so I had to make up for his lack of enthusiasm.


Here's the back of our shirts. My viking patch (which I made!) turned out really awesome, as did Chris' hodge-podge "Romo." Of course our novel outfits were no consolation for Chris.


Based on this blog, and the homemade sweater hanging in my closet, it appears that I am a Vikings fan now, although that is still up for debate. I feel asleep during the first half of today's game and I missed part of the second half because I ran to the drug store. I don't think those actions are characteristic of a true fan. I guess we'll see how I feel after the Vikings win the Superbowl.

3 comments:

Sirill Benton said...

Very cool! But I am the only true viking... Ha ha

laSonya said...

i would like to think you are also a viking fan because your old high school pal is living in norway with all the vikings and it's a small tribute to her :O)
i too hope they win the superbowl! see it, see it, see it! DON'T SEE IT, DON'T SEE IT! see it, see it.

Kim said...

well, the two people I know in Norway both commented here. Vikings unite!