Monday, September 6, 2010

Death Valley: Too Hot for Two Sias's

The last day in Yosemite, Chris and I awoke to temperatures in the 30's and elevations of almost 9,000 feet. By four o-clock that afternoon, we found ourselves in Death Valley, 282 feet below sea level and in unbearable heat.


While in Death Valley, Chris and I drove to the lowest point in North America:


The air at Badwater Basin was so heavy and stagnant with heat that we lasted no more than six minutes before returning to the comfort of our air conditioned car. The heat was also so crazy that I think it affected my camera, blurring what I thought was my favorite picture of the day:


Before I went on this California vacation, a friend asked me why I wanted to go to Death Valley. At the time I didn't really know. Now I know. The strangeness of this place makes for a surprisingly fascinating adventure. Also, the stark contrast when compared to the redwood forests and yosemite make it even more interesting.

No comments: