Saturday, September 17, 2011

Fire Drill

The fire alarm in our building goes off frequently.  The first time was on New Year's Eve while Chris and I were playing the newly wed game with Chris's family.  We were all awake and had nowhere to go the next day, so a false fire alarm was really no bother.  

The next time the fire alarm went off, Chris and I were fast asleep.  We abruptly awoke in the middle of the night to flashing lights and a loud, high pitched noise.   In a groggy state, we filed outside with our neighbors until the fire department arrived and cleared the building. 

The false fire alarms have become increasingly annoying.  One night I awoke to the usual flashing lights and loud sirens.  Confused, I attributed the noise to our dog, Doug, and repeatedly asked Chris to make the dog "shut-up."

On Thursday morning I woke up late and asked Chris to walk Doug for me.  Chris reluctantly agreed.  As Chris was getting ready for his morning jog with Doug, the smoke detector began beeping, indicating the battery was low.  The smoke detector kept beeping, and beeping, and beeping; the beeping wouldn't stop.  Annoyed with the noise, Chris decided to push the reset button on the smoke detector.  The smoke detector beeped one long final beep, followed by the all too familiar flashing lights and loud, high pitched sirens.  Chris and I now knew why we had so many false fire alarms in our building.

Upon realizing that he was the direct cause of a false fire alarm at six in the morning, Chris was suddenly very eager to walk Doug.  He quickly grabbed the dog and ran out the door. I finished curling my hair, and then walked outside to join my disgruntled neighbors.  I was in no rush because I was certain that this fire alarm was a false alarm.  

As expected, the fire department arrived and turned off the alarm.  Before leaving the building, the fireman visited my apartment.  Apparently, the fire alarm system in our building is high tech and records where all alarms originate, although it is not high tech enough to differentiate between an actual fire and low batteries in a smoke detector.  I played dumb with the firemen, making vague references to a strange beeping noise earlier that morning.  The firemen were not amused and looked at me like I was the most annoying person they had ever met.  I couldn't say anything and only thought,  "Chris should be standing here, suffering this scorn and mockery."  But he wasn't there.  He was at the park, playing ball with Doug, where he remained until I called him and told him the scene was clear.    

No comments: