Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Moving - Part 1

Chris and I are in the process of moving.  The first step in our move was finding a new place to move to.  A few weeks ago, we made a last minute trip to the Valley, our future home, to look at housing options.  Because the trip was last minute, we had no choice but to take Doug with us.

We left our apartment early in the morning.  Doug was very excited when I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride as we were preparing to leave.  Doug was also very excited to be in the car with us as we traveled over 200 miles to our destination.  Doug was even more excited once we arrived in the Valley and stopped at a park to play ball.  Doug was not so happy, however, when we left him in the car as we began looking for our new home.  At first, Doug cried as we walked away from the car without him.  After a couple of stops, he realized what was going on and tried with all his might to sneak out of the car as we shut the doors.   I felt sorry for Doug, but we always made sure to crack the car windows, park in the shade, keep our stops as short as possible, and give Doug plenty of time between stops to recover from the increased anxiety he appeared to be experiencing.

Toward the end of our house hunting day, we stopped at a house and left Doug in the car.  I cracked my window and squeezed out my door while holding Doug at bay.  Chris and I entered the house with our real estate agent and began looking at the living space on the main floor.  After three or four minutes, we heard the front door open.  Chris, the real estate agent, and myself turned around at the same moment and were surprised to see the door opening by itself.  When we looked down, we saw Doug running toward us with his ears back, tongue out, and whole body wagging as if to say, "Hey guys, you forgot me in the car but aren't you proud of me for finding you."  Chris and I looked at our real estate agent in disbelief and then walked to the car.  The car doors were securely shut.  That's when we noticed the smear marks on the passenger side window likely caused by dog paws and a wet nose, and we realized that Doug squeezed his way through the crack in the passenger side window.  I imagine it looked something like this picture I took one time while I pumped gas, only with a much smaller crack in the window:


Silly Doug.  Next time we'll plan better and leave you at doggy day care.  

No comments: