Monday, March 10, 2014

Introduction to Seoul

Chris is such an awesome husband, so awesome that he fully supported my leaving him for a week to travel half way around the world to Seoul, South Korea. Why South Korea, and why without my spouse? Here's why:


That's my longtime friend Heather.  She was teaching in Korea and preparing to return to the states.  She invited me to visit before she left, and I decided to accept her offer.  Before I left Texas, however, Chris took me out for Korean food to (1) prepare me for my trip or (2) convince me not to go.  His plan failed, as I did not cancel my trip and remained neutral on the flavors of Korean food.


The trip from my home to Korea required two flights, the second of which lasted 13.5 hours.   The long flight was made bearable by naps, constant feeding (chicken and rice, a sandwich, and a pizza), and a media screen from which I could select a number of movies and TV shows.  I also enjoyed using the media screen to track the plane's progress on the flight path and identify the cold landscapes viewed from my cozy window seat.


Because I traveled west with the sun for 13 hours at 400+ miles per hour, I experienced a 24 hour period of daylight from the time I left my home to the time the sun set after I arrived in Korea the following day. 

Heather met me at the airport and spent the next six days showing me around Seoul.  Seoul is a dense city surrounded by mountains.  Old, traditional Korean structures are surrounded by busy streets and modern buildings.  Heather made sure that I experienced all of these things and more.  


Before I dive into the sights of Seoul, check out our adorable little studio for the week.  


The apartment was located across the street from the airport bus and a subway exit was connected to the building.  The apartment was also next door to a police station (safety first), across the street from a beautiful bakery, a short distance from an excellent grocery market, and within walking distance of many of the sights we visited.  Kudos to Heather on picking a great place for the week!

No comments: