Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My First Day in Seoul

Day one in Seoul.  After finding a market that sold fresh fruit, including a pint of strawberries for $6.50, Heather and I walked to Geongbokgung to watch the changing of the guard and try on some colorful costumes.  At the time, I did not realize what a clear, warm day we were enjoying.  Weather changes later in the week made me appreciate just how beautiful that first day was.






The National Folk Museum of Korea, showcasing Korean traditions, is located near Geongbokgong.  I learned that I was born in the year of the Dog, that first birthdays are a big deal in Korean culture, and that rice cakes look a lot prettier than they taste.

Strange Orange Guy outside the Folk Museum
There were a bunch of funny stone people
outside the Folk Museum.
After a healthy lunch at our apartment, Heather and I visited the Jogyesa Buddhist Temple.  It was a no-photo zone, but Heather used my body as a shield so that she could take a few quick pictures of the three oversized Buddas and the paper lotus flowers decorating the ceiling.


The temple gate was decorated with beautiful paper lanterns and awesome metal sculptures.




Heather and I spent the evening looking at the local crafts in the shops on Insadong street and eating a variety of street foods (fried sweet potato, waffles with cream, and fresh squeezed pomegrante juice).  It was even warm enough (with my coat) to eat a j shaped tube filled with chocolate and vanilla ice cream.  The guys in the ice cream shop were way too excited to sell me their funky ice cream cone.

At a ceramics shop
My funky ice cream

I was literally falling asleep by 8:30.  I tried to stay awake until 9:30 but even sitting on a hard, backless stool couldn't keep me awake.  Kim: 0; Jet lag: 1.

No comments: