Sunday, May 18, 2014

Interracial Humor

The car I drive is relatively rare.  Given the rarity of my car, I was surprised when one of my newest coworkers told me that he had seen a car just like mine, in the same color, driving around town over the weekend.  I told my coworker that the car he saw must have been mine.  I have only seen one other car like mine in town, and it is not the same color.  My coworker disagreed with me.  He explained that the car he saw could not have been mine because there was a young hispanic guy driving it.  I should have retorted with a comment about my mechanic because in reality, Chris had been driving my car after working on the brakes.  Unfortunately, I wasn't that quick-witted.  Instead, I politely explained that my husband is also a young hispanic guy.

A couple weeks later, I was talking to a coworker about my recent trip to Mexico with my husband.  We were discussing the suspicion my travel prompted with customs when attempting to reenter the United States at one of the nearby land border bridges.   My coworker replied with something like, "Well, it is unusual for two white people to travel to Mexico in a car."  Again, I politely explained that my husband is hispanic.

Seriously, I think I need to take more pictures of Chris to work.