Friday, February 20, 2015

Silly Katy Girl

Yesterday I was changing Katy's diaper when she made me laugh for the first time.  She was awake but contently staring at a banner on the wall above her changing pad when she suddenly began crying loudly as if in immense pain.  As I searched for the cause of the pain, the crying became screams interrupted by brief gasps for air.  Then I found it.  Katy had grabbed a fistful of her own hair and  began pulling on it when her wiry arms began moving in their normal, uncontrollable fashion.  The pain caused by the uncontrollable movement of her arms caused her to cry, which caused her arms to flail more uncontrollably, which caused her to pull her fistful of hair harder, which caused her to scream louder, which caused her arms to flail even more, which caused a quickly escalating, unknowing, self-inflicted cycle of pain, crying, and screaming.  Not until I pried the ball of hair out of Katy's tightly clenched fist did she relax and resume staring at the wall. 

Life is rough when you can't control your own arms or understand how to stop hurting yourself.   

1 comment:

laSonya said...

I feel like I know some adults who suffer from this same problem. . .