Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Death by Bobcat

Chris, Katy, and I recently camped with Chris' family at Enchanted Rock State Natural Area. Enchanted Rock is so incredibly beautiful.  Remind me again why I live in South Texas?

Katy was so overwhelmed by the beauty that she took a very
uncomfortable-looking nap.
At the summit of Enchanted Rock.
Papo and Grandma with their grand babies.
With Tio Jesse
Katy had a blast camping.  She loves being outside and isn't afraid of playing in dirt or sitting down in the grass, which got her into a bit of trouble when she sat in an ant bed near our campsite.  Katy's screams of pain as I stripped off her clothes and diaper in the middle of camp made my mommy heart so sad.  Luckily, Katy ended up with just a few bites, and she didn't have a severe allergic reaction to them.  

This girl loves climbing in and out of a tent.
During our first night at the campsite, we heard a predatory animal hunt for dinner.  My mother-in-law left a large canister of nuts on our communal picnic table overnight.  Early in the night I woke up to the sound of critters rolling my mother-in-law's canister of nuts.  Later, I woke up to the sound of critters digging the nuts out of the canister.  The last time I woke up, I heard the critters making high-pitched sounds, as if in trouble.  Then I heard what sounded like a predatory cat growling and hissing.  As the growling and hissing grew louder, the high-pitched alerts grew more frequent and more urgent until it was obvious that one of the critters was being carried away in severe pain.  And then all of the crying, growling, and hissing stopped.  I was nervous that Doug was going to start barking and attract the predatory animal to our tent, but he only whimpered in fear.  In the morning, everyone was talking about the predator in our camp expect for my in-laws, who apparently slept through the whole thing even though their tent was closest to the picnic table.  When we relayed what we heard, my mother-in-law seemed unimpressed by the death trap her nuts created and instead made comments all day about how she couldn't believe the animals ate her nuts. 

On the last evening of our trip, we went on a lovely sunset hike and even did a little celebratory dance.  It really was a fantastic trip.  

With my beautiful sister-in-law.
Doug was so happy to be included again.

Why are we so happy?  Hehe...

 

No comments: