Saturday, May 21, 2016

The Freddie Fender Water Tower

This is the water tower in San Benito featuring Freddie Fender:


Every time I passed the water tower, I wondered, "Who is Freddie Fender?," and then I would forget to research Freddie Fender until the next time I saw the water tower.

I recently drove by the Freddie Fender water tower with my friend Rachella, who is from a small town near San Benito.  I asked Rachella if she knew anything about Freddie Fender.  She replied, "No."   After a brief pause, Rachella rattled off a few vague lyrics from his song that came out on the radio.  After another pause, Rachella mentioned something about Freddie Fender's family still living in the Valley.  And then Rachella casually stated that she went to Freddie Fender's funeral.  I'm sorry Rachella, but I think you know something about Freddie Fender if you went to his funeral.

Now when I pass the San Benito water tower I think, "I know someone who went to his funeral."  I still have no idea what song made him famous, but I think about researching it each time I pass by.

Photo Source: http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=5cb0e51d-5a69-4b73-bd11-02bcc05ffb5b

No comments: