Saturday, July 30, 2016

The Simple Joy of a Bowl of Ice Cream

A few weeks ago, Katy and I spent all morning preparing food for someone else.  We delivered the food at lunchtime and then treated ourselves to lunch at Jason's Deli because I was in no mood to prepare more food.

After sharing a salad, I walked Katy to the soft-serve ice cream machine and filled a bowl with some ice cream.  We had one bowl and one spoon, which meant we had to share.  After just one bite, Katy insisted on holding the spoon.  For the next ten minutes, Katy's face was covered in ice cream and a giant smile as she attempted, with much help from me, to spoon out the ice cream and guide it to her mouth and mine.  Katy was enjoying her ice cream so much, she loved that she had the only spoon, and she was more than happy to share with mom.  Her joy was infectious and for ten minutes, it felt like we were the only two people in the restaurant.  

After Katy ate the last bite of ice cream, she quickly pointed in the direction of the ice cream machine, and asked, "Mas?"   I laughed as I turned toward the ice cream machine.  When I turned, I noticed a woman watching us.  Her table was empty, her arm was propped up on the table to support her chin, and she was smiling.  When our eyes met, the woman didn't glance away.  Instead, she locked eyes with me and kept smiling until her school aged daughters returned to the table and started talking to her.

That brief moment with a stranger has stayed with me for several weeks.  It makes me want to remember every detail of how happy Katy and I were eating ice cream together because I know someday Katy will be too old for sharing a bowl of ice cream with me.  When that happens, I may need a sappy blog post to read.

This happy girl loves ice cream!

No comments: