Sunday, January 15, 2017

Conversations with a Toddler

Katy talks all. the. time. Most of what she says is either narration, a request for something, repeating something she heard or remembers, or nonsensical babble.  Every now and then, however, she throws in a little on-the-spot critical thinking and it's usually pretty funny.  Below is one such recent conversation:

(Katy is sitting at her table drawing.  I am sitting in a rocking chair nearby)

Katy: "Mom va a dibujar?"  (Is mom going to draw?)
Mom:  "No, no quiero.  Quiero dormir.  Puedo dormir?"  (No, I don't want to.  I want to sleep.  Can I sleep?)
Katy: "No."
Mom:  "Porque no puedo dormir?" (Why can't I sleep?)
Katy: long pause, staring at my face...."Los ojos estan abiertos"  (literally translated: "the eyes are open," but knowing the context and that pronouns are still very (VERY) tricky for Katy, I know she meant, "Your eyes are open.").

I guess she was looking at my face waiting for me to close my eyes.  Silly girl.

1 comment:

laSonya said...

I love how she is growing up bilingual :) I can't wait to talk with her in Spanish.