Friday, January 20, 2017

Detente!

Katy and I have been reading P.D. Eastman's Go Dog Go in Spanish a lot lately.  It's a long book for a toddler but there's something about all those dogs that Katy really enjoys.  The book contains a series of pages in which the dogs are driving cars and must stop for a red light.  When I read this page to Katy I making a stopping motion with my palm held out while saying, "Detente, perros, detente! La luz esta roja" (ahem... usually I say "la luz esta rojo" because my on-the-spot translations are sometimes messy, but that's not the point here).

For a couple weeks now, Katy has been saying "detente!" while making a stopping motion with her open palm.  She especially likes to do this to trucks she sees driving on the road: "Detente camion, detente!"  Last week, Katy was watching a football game with Chris.  The referee called a pass interference penalty on one of the players and made the pass interference motion with his hands, which is both hands pushing from the chest out with palms facing out.  Upon seeing this, Katy starting saying, "Detente! Detente! Detente!"

Maybe all this reading is preparing Katy to be an NFL referee.

No comments: