Friday, June 8, 2018

The Time I Climbed a Play Structure

During our recent trip to Nuevo Vallarta, we found a shopping center with a large play structure in the food court.  When I say large, I mean really, really tall.  Taller than any play structure I've seen in the United States.

Look at that play structure soaring past the second level sky bridge!  Katy is sitting
at the top in the bubble window.
One afternoon, I took Katy to play in the play structure.  She played for quite a while without any trouble.  She even went down the biggest slide. Then I heard Katy crying.  I began searching for her and spotted her at the very top of the play structure.  When she spotted me down below, me she began calling for me as she cried.  I tried to coax Katy down, but she didn't move.  She just cried and cried. 

A mom next to me sent her son to help Katy down and a few minutes later, I sent another little girl to help.  After several minutes passed without any progress, I knew what I had to do.  I had to climb through the tiny tunnels and passageways to help Katy down.

The first part of the climb required me to pass through narrow openings that I could only fit through if I turned my body on its side and slid through.  There were lots of steps that required me to do this in alternating directions, so I was a bit winded by the time I reached the half-way platform. 

Next I had to climb up a winding tunnel.  There was absolutely no ventilation in the tunnel, it was hot because it was very high-up, and it smelled of sweaty kids.  I suddenly felt extremely nauseous.  My goal quickly changed from rescuing my crying child to finding ventilation.  I was the only white person in the play area, and I was the only adult climbing the play structure.  The only thing I could do to draw more attention to myself was throw-up inside the tunnel.

When I finally reached a platform with narrow slits in the plastic wall, I pressed my face against the slit and breathed in the fresh air.  Kids kept telling me there was a crying girl up above, but all I could do was sit there and breathe until the nausea passed.

When I was finally able to continue climbing, I found Katy perched on the highest shelf, crying hysterically, and clinging tightly to a little boy who was trying to comfort her.  It was actually very sweet to see all the kids surrounding Katy, trying to comfort her.

Carrying Katy down proved to be quite challenging because I barely fit through the tunnels and passageways.  Luckily, Katy let the little boy who had comforted her help her down as long as she could see me in front of her.  At last, we made it to the bottom and gracefully slid down the double slide together. 

Several parents were staring at Katy and I as we slid out of the play structure, but we didn't really care.  Katy wasn't stuck anymore, and I didn't vomit in the tunnel.  Success!

1 comment:

laSonya said...

OH WOW! I'm glad you weren't 5 months preggo with twins at the time!