Thursday, January 8, 2009

Laptop Surgery

A couple of months ago my beloved HP Pavillion DV2000 got sick. What I hoped was only a ferocious virus turned out to be a serious hardware malfunction. The estimated cost of repairs: $350 to $500, plus another $50 for a new battery. The amount of repairs covered by my one-month expired warranty: nothing. As I began perusing for a replacement computer, I soon realized there was not an economically comparable replacement for the laptop I am so fond of, despite its sub-par components.

And so began the laptop surgery. Two nights ago Chris removed the rubber screw covers from the plastic frame around the screen and began disassembling the machine in a last ditch effort to restore it to a workable condition. The do-it-yourself remedy was the only way to avoid investing more money in repairs than the laptop is worth. Chris successfully located the first possible culprit; however, there was a kink in disconnecting the part from its life-line wires. This unfortunate mistake required further disassembling the key board so that the broken part could be removed and a yet another replacement part could be ordered.

So, as I write this, my laptop is in multiple pieces. The key board is gone. The screen is disconnected. The lid cover is no longer hinged to the base. An array of screws are meticulously divided and labeled in the slots of an empty ice tray. And the laptop will remain in pieces until the necessary parts are shipped from Hong Kong to Lubbock (7 to 15 days), at which time the laptop surgery will resume.

No comments: