Monday, January 26, 2009

Password Paranoia

I was recently prompted to change one of my many internet passwords. The do's and don't's for password selection were neatly listed and can be summarized as follows: An acceptable password is 8 to 15 characters long, using both upper and lower case letters and at least one number, which can not be the first or last character. Additionally, a password can not contain any part of your name nor any word found in a dictionary. A password can not be repeated within a one-year period; however, punctuation marks are permissible characters.

Suggested passwords were UGZ34Bbc3k and similar combinations. I have one such combination memorized but am blocked from using that password for the next year because it was my previous password.

The point? This is ridiculous...

Update: In response to this blog, A.J. wisely suggested that I use words like sk8. Thanks A.J.!

No comments: