Sunday, May 2, 2010

Recent Events, In no Particular Order

Because I haven't blogged in quite some time, I am providing a point-by-point replay of the more interesting happenings from the last month:

1. I bought Chris a stunt kite for Valentines day. The spring winds made possible our first successful kite launching. I spent half the time "reminding" Chris to stay away from power lines. In defense of my incesscent "reminders," you should know that I have a substantial fear of electrocution, which is substantiated by this prior post.


2. I forgot that I was supposed to tell the children's story at church until it was time to tell the children's story at church. I remember sitting in the pew, thinking it odd that no adult was up front with the kiddos, who by this time were patiently waiting for their story. As soon as that thought entered my head, the music director whispered in my ear, "Kim, you're telling the story." Within the next 30 seconds, the following events occurred: 1) I turned 15 shades of red; 2) I jumped out of the pew and raced up front, causing a low chuckle throughout the sanctuary; 3) I thought to myself "What am I going to say;" 4) I picked up the microhone and said, "Well, apparently I'm telling the children's story today," at which point all eyes were on me like a bad car accident; and 5) I came up with a story that sounded like I had planned it. It was quite impressive, although the glory goes to God and not to me.


3. I met my new neighbor. He told me his name, but it just sounded like a bunch of vowels awkwardly thrown together. I told him that I was going to have a hard time remembering his name. He told me to call him by his nickname. As far as I could tell, his nickname is Ffssh. Luckily, Ffssh is never in the hallways when I am.

4. I learned why my first grade teacher was always trying to teach me the correct way to hold a pencil when writing. She was worried that someday I would go to lawschool, have a professor too old to admister exams via computer, and be forced to complete a three hour, hand-written exam. Furthermore, she knew that this exam would be comprised of questions so vague and broad that I really needed 6 hours to complete it and therefore, I would have to write faster than I type. I bet my first grade teacher did not know, however, that I would not be allowed to use lined paper to complete this exam, instead forced to throw down sloppy words in sloping lines on 14 sheets of regular copy paper. Mrs. Gilliam, please know that I now apologize for being so stubborn. My hand was shaking and one of my fingers was blue after it was all said and done.

5. I entered my final weeks of law school and apparently, I decided to go out with a bang! While my friends are taking it easy as they study for one or two exams, I am spending long days and nights at the library studying for FOUR final exams. Blech. That was really bad planning on my part.

6. Following up on number five, I discovered that planning a three week vacation and/or graudation party is WAY more fun than studying.

7. I took my Spanish proficiency to a new level. I made up a word, and that word has become part of the Sias lingo. I can't wait until my children learn this word and then use it when talking to Abuelita Sias. Abuelita Sias will smile and give her normal soft laugh, as if she approves, all the while thinking, "Oye, la Gringa habla Espanol como un burro."

8. I received my bar exam preparation books in the mail. The small but dense box contains 8 books with exciting titles like Multistate Performance Test Workbook and Texas Lecture Handouts. A couple of the boooks are thicker than a ream of paper. Wow - this summer is going to be so much fun!

1 comment:

laSonya said...

wowzers. I have no idea where to start! Except, it was Mrs. Gillin. :)