Monday, March 12, 2012

Spring Break Fever

Spring break has certainly arrived. One of my pathfinders, who is 14, asked me where I am going this week for spring break.  I told him that I am not going anywhere because I don't have a spring break.  He was shocked.  When I told him that adults who work do not have a spring break, he told me that his teacher has spring break.  I rephrased: Most adults who do not work at a school do not have a spring break.  He asked who I work for and then asked other staff members, "Did you know Kim's employer does not give her a spring break?!?!?!?"  

Living downtown has a lot of perks, but spring break is not one of them.  A deluge of vacationers has overtaken the river, sidewalks, and restaurants.  They are easy to identity - wearing backpacks and shorts, camera in hand, kids in tow. The crowds don't bother me so much.  What gets to me is the way they unknowingly flaunt their happy and carefree state of vacation as I drive to and from work.  I am overwhelmingly aware of how much I miss spring break.    

1 comment:

laSonya said...

Well stated. That is why I always wanted to work at a school. Boo on growing up and no spring break.