Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Grandmimi

My Grandmimi, Ms. Hallie Whitten, passed away this morning.  She was the eldest of four generations of women pictured below:



While the loss of a loved one is always sad, it's comforting to know that my Grandmimi lived 99 full years of life.  She had 7 children, 20+ grandchildren, 30+ great grandchildren, and a number of great, great grandchildren.  She lived at home up until the final weeks of her life.  Her mind did not fail her and in the end, she did not suffer from chronic illness or endure great pain.  She simply went to sleep and died in peace.  The next memory she will have is Jesus calling her home.

My Grandmimi's deep love for Jesus and her resulting sweet spirit left a lasting impression on my family, as evidenced by messages my family members posted today:

"My heart is heavy with the loss of my sweet Mimi but the promise of the great reunion is ours! What a day of rejoicing that will be! Those who have heard me speak of her know what a treasure she was to all who knew her."
 
"What a long, faithful life she led. She was an inspiration in devotion to us all and will be dearly missed. . . . Everyone that knew her knew she had a special relationship with Christ; a connection that can only come from years of belief and prayer. "

"She was the sweetest person in the world . . . .  She had the biggest heart and was truly an example of what God wants us to be like. We love you Grandmimi."  

Two days ago, my cousin gave birth to a baby girl and named her Hallie.  Two days after baby Hallie entered the world, her namesake went to sleep.  The birth of one Hallie and the death of another within a few short days is  a bittersweet reminder of the inevitible circle of life in this world of sin.  Someday, however, we will meet Jesus face to face and leave this sinful world behind us.  When that happens, I will proudly introduce you to my Grandmimi. 

To read more about my Grandmimi, click here and here.  To read about my Great Grandma Lair, who passed away at the age of 99 about six months ago, click here, and here.   

No comments: