Friday, December 28, 2012

Paper Dreams

Last spring, I agreed to host a table at a women's event.  In my quest to host a table set apart from the usual pastels and florals, I found these adorable paper place mats with pop up details. I was instantly inspired by the idea of paper.


Many, many hours later, I had handmade paper napkin rings and vaseful of handmade paper flowers to match the paper place mats.


This Christmas, I again decided to decorate with paper.  After about a month of folding, I was able to  dress the Sias Christmas tree with my very own handmade paper ornaments and a matching paper star.




Paper really is a great medium.  It can be folded to look soft or rigid, flat or multi-dimensional. It comes in different textures, weights, colors, and patterns.  It is (relatively) cheap and is readily available.  I love the natural, simple look of paper.

A few years ago, I watched an awesome documentary about modern paper folders called Between the Folds.  The artists and scientists in the film create spectacular things out of paper, and they speak with passion about their creases and the forms they create.  While my paper creations are nowhere near the complexity and artistry documented in the film, I really enjoyed my paper Christmas tree this year.  

 

1 comment:

laSonya said...

I love it. I think I learned more about you in these last few blogs than I did the whole time we were together. See blogs are great. They don't know what they are missing out on.