Saturday, December 14, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Chris' family visited over Thanksgiving.  Our pre-Thanksgiving madness consisted of a last minute office remodel to transform the office into an office/guest room.  Chris now has several new tools, and we now have three beds.  That's one bed for Chris, one bed for Kim, and one bed for Doug, if it ever comes to that.  

I assumed the primary cooking responsibility on Thanksgiving day: the turkey.  My last turkey cooking experience consisted of reheating a frozen pre-cooked turkey.  That turned out . . . interesting, which you can read about here.  This time around, I cooked a raw bird.  I trussed the turkey, bathed it in butter and salt, filled it with vegetables and herbs, and roasted it for 3+ hours.  The result was a beautiful, juicy, flavorful bird.  I was impressed, although my killer cranberry sauce turned out to be my favorite dish of the day. 

The day after Thanksgiving, Chris and I took the family to the beach.  It was a cold day and we didn't last very long by the water, but we did last long enough for one deceivingly warm looking picture.


Forced to abandon the windy beach, we headed over to the Port Isabel light house.  I can't believe it took Chris and I a whole year to discover the awesomeness that is the Port Isabel Lighthouse.   I suppose we ignored the lighthouse for so long because of it's small size and unassuming exterior.  The observation deck at the top of the lighthouse, however, is charmingly cozy and the view of the ocean through the large, old glass doors is great.  

The unassuming exterior. 
The charmingly cozy observation deck.
The view through the large, old glass doors.  
With not much else to do in McAllen during a cold spell, Chris and I resorted to recruiting Jesse and Vanessa for our first geocaching adventure.  What started out as a rather aimless adventure actually turned into an entertaining evening.  Kudos to Vanessa for finding the hidden treasure near marker number three at El Pato.


Now, with Thanksgiving behind us, we bravely forge forward toward Christmas.    

No comments: