Sunday, August 16, 2015

We're Still Alive

I last blogged on May 17.  Three days later, my maternity leave ended.  These dates are not coincidence.  Time moves at a record setting pace when two working professionals attempt to balance demanding jobs, caring for a baby, maintaining a home, and spending time with each other.   I am not sure how much longer we will maintain this pace but for now, here's a run-down on Life as a Sias three-months post-maternity leave.

1.  Katy is adorably wonderful and beautiful, and I love being her mom.  

2.  I've breastfed Katy for six months, and I have a freezer full of milk to spare. While I was pregnant, I naively assumed breastfeeding was something babies and moms know how to do.   Much to my discouragement, Katy entered the world on a sleepy hunger strike, and I was tired, weepy, and unused to so many people seeing my exposed chest.  The conditions post-birth were less than ideal for teaching something new to a tiny human incapable of communication or reason, much less learning something new myself.  After four long days at the hospital, the pediatrician finally let us take Katy home, but not without one final condescending, "Are you sure you can do this?"  Within a couple of days at home, however, Katy and I started making positive progress.  Fast forward six months and I can proudly say that Katy hasn't tasted formula since she was eight days old.  The ten pounds she has gained since birth?  That was all me. Take that hospital pediatrician.  

3. Katy has two teeth.  The first tooth came in while we were traveling.  The teething fussiness that so many parents lament consisted of one brief episode of screaming/crying as I was getting Katy ready for bed.  She slept all night, and the next day she had a little tooth protruding through her lower gums.  I recall thinking to myself proudly, "this teething business is not so bad after all."  Never say to yourself, "this teething business is not so bad after all," even if only in your head.  If you do make the mistake of such cavalier, ungracious statements, stock up on infant tylenol immediately.  You will pay for your mistake when the next tooth comes. 

4.  Katy rolled over for the first time about a month ago.  I encouraged her to repeat the trick.  Now I beg her to stay on her back while I attempt to change her diaper.  The girl loves to be on her tummy and sometimes she succeeds at lifting her tiny torso up on her wobbly arms and knees.  Based on prior experience, I know that I will regret encouraging this new trick, but I can't stop myself from getting excited.    

5.  After Katy was born, Doug was demoted to the role of a dog.  This was tough for him, as evidenced by unusually clingy behavior.  When I returned to work, our friend Rachella and her son Leonardo started staying at the house with Katy.  It was at this time that Doug was further demoted to the role of an outside dog during the day.  He has retaliated by spending his day in constant pursuit of the lizards living in the flower beds.  The neglected plants will never be the same.  

Katy is waking up from her nap, so I will have to postpone the rest of my thoughts for later.  For now, enjoy some pictures of my KatyGirl. 


Katy in her jumper.  It's large and plastic, but
she likes it.

Like I said, Katy is adorably wonderful and beautiful.

This girl loves to be on her tummy.

1 comment: