Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Q&A with Myself: Domestic Update

I've been a stay-at-home-mom for four months now, and I LOVE IT!!!  Here are my answers to your burning questions about the life of a stay-at-home-mom.

Q: Do you sleep in everyday?

A: No, although I frequently sleep later than I did when I was working.  Katy wakes up between 7 and 8 a.m., which means I do too.  At least once a week, I wake up much, much earlier because I can accomplish so much before Katy wakes up.

Q: Do you take lots of naps?

A: I don't think I do, but others might disagree.  Katy takes two naps a day and I currently nurse or rock her to sleep.  I usually take a 15 minute cat-nap while I'm putting her to sleep.  She won't need me to nurse and/or rock her forever, so I'm enjoying this time as much as I can.

Q: Do you watch lots of TV?

A: No.  Daytime TV is rotten, and I have better things to do than watch TV.  Katy and I play outside, read tons of books, play silly games, walk to the grocery store, and visit the library at least once a week.  I almost always have a crafty project in the works.  I've discovered that cooking can be a lot of fun when you have the time and energy to enjoy it.  My meals now include homemade breads, broths, and sauces. In between all of this fun, I try to squeeze in a bit of cleaning.  That doesn't leave much time for TV, although I frequently have Netflix playing in the background when I'm working during Katy's nap time.

Q: Are you overworked and under-appreciated?

A: No.  Sometimes I get frustrated on the weekends because it feels like I never get a break from catering to others or because Chris is ready to relax while I'm ready to go, go, go.  Overall, however, my life as a stay-at-home-mom is much less stressful than my former life as a working mom, and Chris never ceases to thank me for my contributions to the household.  Maybe my opinion will change with time, or with the addition of more children, but for now I do not feel overworked or under-appreciated.

Q: What is your favorite part of being a stay-at-home-mom?

A: My connection to Katy.  Taking care of Chris.  Having flexibility.

Q: What is your least favorite part of being a stay-at-home-mom?

A: Mopping.  Cleaning bathrooms.  Dry hands. Overcoming a sense of uselessness when visiting family because others are caring for Katy and I do not have a house to tend to.

Q: Do you miss your job?

A: No. Not at all. Not one bit.  Maybe I will miss my job at some point in the future, but right now I am exactly where I want to be.  I do, however, miss my paycheck.  That part of my job was pretty nice.

1 comment:

laSonya said...

This is a lovely post! I can't wait till there are more children ;)