Monday, July 17, 2017

What is This?/¿Que es Esto?

Katy is asking more and more, "what is this?"  I am usually able to identify everyday objects for her using Spanish, which is very exciting for me because I couldn't do this two years ago.  More recently, however, Katy realized that objects are made of several identifiable parts, prompting the more specific question, "what is this part called?"  I usually don't know the Spanish word for the various parts that comprise the everyday objects Katy encounters, making me feel inadequate in the Spanish language once again.  Even worse, it is so tempting to teach Katy the English word when she asks such specific questions.  Looking up the Spanish translation usually takes longer than Katy's attention span allows, especially if it's a word that's not easily translated in google.  I hate to waste a learning opportunity due to my lack of fluency.

Katy esta preguntándome más y más, "que es esto?"  Usualmente, puedo decirle la palabra en Español, y eso me hace muy emocionado porque estoy haciendo algo que no pude hacer dos años en el pasado.  Pero más recientemente, Katy aprendió que cosas se componen de varias partes, causando la pregunta mas especifíca, "¿como se llama este parte?"  Usualmente, no sé la palabra Español para los partes que componen las cosas que Katy encuentra, causándome a sentir inadecuado en el lenguaje Español una vez mas.  Peor aún, quiero decirle la palabra en Inglés cuando me hace preguntas especificas.  Buscando la palabra Español en el internet hace más tiempo que permite la capacidad de atención de Katy, especialmente cuando estoy buscando una palabra que no traduce fácilmente.  No me gusta perder una opurtunidad a aprender.

This morning, Katy was drinking from a cup with a handle.  She pointed to the handle and asked, "what is this part called?"  I didn't know the Spanish word and by the time I looked it up, she was no longer interested.  Trying to salvage the missed learning opportunity, I refocused her attention on the cup, pointed to the handle, and told her, "esta es una manija."  I repeated myself a couple times, and then I began showing Katy other things in the house that have handles, mostly because I was trying to commit the word to my own memory.  Katy, however, really enjoyed this "game" and quickly began asking me to find more things with handles. She even identified a few things with handles herself. The whole game lasted about five minutes, but it left me so excited.  I discovered a way to continue prioritizing Spanish.  Even more exciting, had I known the word for handle in Spanish, I probably would have just told Katy the word and moved on.  I would have missed out on our exciting little game.

Esta manana, Katy estaba bebiendo de una taza con una manija cuando ella apuntó a la manija y me preguntó, "¿como se llama este parte?"  Al tiempo, no sabia la palabra para manija y por el momento lo busqué, Katy no quizo saber.  Sin embargo, reenfocé su atención en la taza, apunté a la manija, y le dije, "esta es una manija."  Lo repití varios veces y empecé a enseñarle otras cosas en la casa que tiene una manija, principalmente porque yo tratraba a aprender y recordar la palabra.  Katy le gustó este "juego" mucho y comenzó a preguntarme rápidamente a encontrar otras cosas en la casa que tienen manijas.  El juego duró cinco minutes, más o menos, pero me lo hice muy emocionada.  Descubrí una manera de continuar priorizando Español.  Aún más, si había sabido la palabra, habría dichole la palabra y nada más.  Me habría perdido en nuestro juego divertido.

Teaching Katy Spanish has been a challenging task for me. It requires a lot of extra mental exertion and overcoming fears of making mistakes.  The effort involved, however, makes small pleasant surprises along the way even more enjoyable.

Enseñado Katy Español ha sido un cometido grande.  Require mucho esfuerza mental y que no tengo miedo de hacer errores.  Pero el esfuerza lo que require hace las sorpresas buenas mas agradable.



1 comment:

laSonya said...

I'm loving the Spanish translation! It would be easier for me if the Spanish parts were in italics so I could see them easier from the English. Just an idea :)