Monday, November 11, 2019

Dancing in Church

Katy loves to dance and has since she learned to walk.  She frequently dances in the pew at church because when she hears music, she wants to dance. 

Last weekend, while Papo and Grandma were visiting, we went to an evening program at church.  The church was fairly empty, and the program was mostly music.  Katy asked several times if she could dance.  At first I said no, but she was so confused and disappointed, and I felt guilty that she was having to sit quietly through a second church service that day.  I finally let her dance, and dance she did. 


At one point, I asked Katy to dance at the back of the church behind a row of pews so that she wouldn't distract anyone.  She looked at me very disappointed and said, "but then the people can't see me."  So I let her dance in the back at the end of the isle like she wanted because I just can't be the person to kill her spirit. 

After the program, the man singing during the service told us that he saw Katy dancing and had to close his eyes while he sang so that he wouldn't laugh.  My in-laws thought this was so funny, and it made for lots of laughs during the car ride home.  Katy, misunderstanding why we were all laughing, started laughing because the man "was singing with his eyes closed."  Not wanting to be left out, Cami started laughing as well.  As Katy would say, "Cami is just a joke, a big joke." 

Someday Katy will be too self-conscious to dance in church, or someone will tell her it's inappropriate and forever make her apprehensive about praising God in her language.  Until then, I'll let my girl dance.

No comments: