Sunday, August 29, 2010

Getting to and Getting Around San Francisco

Getting to San Francisco:

We spent two days driving up the Big Sur coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco. We went to the the beach,

We saw lots of scenery fit for a postcard,

We visited the Hearst Castle,

And We ended at the Monterey Bay Aquirium.


Getting around in San Francisco:

Our apartment in San Francisco was in an awesome, swanky location. The building even had a fancy roof top terrace.


However, the apartment, like the rest of the city, did not come with parking. We paid a steep $84 to park the car for three days and opted for other forms of transportation. First, we took the train to Oakland to see this magnificent church:


The inside was equally amazing. I found humor in the church's statue of the Virgin Mary with a small bear at her feet, that is until I learned that the bear represented the state of California.

Second, we walked to a Giants game.

The last baseball game I went to was a Rangers game a couple years before Chris and I got married. I had a terrible case of the sneezes while at that game and one annoyed fan actually yelled out "If you're allergic to baseball, why don't you go home." Luckily, no one yelled at me this time.

Third, we rented bikes and biked by the seals at Pier 39 and then across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Biking in San Francisco is a lot of work, especially when you are out of shape because you spent the last three years reading law books and because are riding on the steep roads alongside motorized vehicles.

Finally, we rented this little car to see the rest of the city:
Interestingly, I found myself in a helmit yet again.

The car topped out at 40 miles per hour, but only when going down hills. I let Chris do most of the driving because it was a bit scary being on the road in this tiny car, especially with my tendency to focus more on the scenery than on driving.

Ironically, we didn't ride a trolley. And much to my disappointment, there was no room on the ferry to Alcatraz Island. I suppose this means we have to go back someday.

No comments: