Sunday, August 29, 2010

Oh, that is so L.A.

The following pictures were taken in Los Angeles. First, below is a street sign that I saw more than once, including on the highway. I've never seen such signs in Texas, although they might exist in Austin...


While in L.A. we rented a condo with Jesse and Vanessa (Chris' brother and his brother's wife). The condo was advertised as "centrally located." The advertisement failed to note, however, that centrally located really means nothing when traffic looks like this on a regular basis:


While sitting in the particular traffic jam that is pictured above, I had plenty of time to ponder the following message, which was stickered to a rail on a highway overpass:



Even after 40 minutes of pondering (because we were moving that slowly), I still couldn't figure out what it meant. Perhaps someone could help me out.

The lady who rented our condo to us was also a true L.A. character. Two days before we were set to arrive, she called me to let me know that the UFC fight would be on pay-per-view. Nope, I did not ask for that information - that was a freebie! When she met us at the condo upon our arrival, she said that she couldn't remember what price she had quoted us and asked us to tell her. I was tempted to lie and give a low ball answer, but then I remembered the Ninth Comandment,which reads "Thou shalt not bear false witness." She gave a $50 break for being honest. Anyhoo, all four of us came to the conclusion that she was on speed or some similarly addictive and illegal upper. Chris and I coined our residence the crack condo. Good times!

But in the midst of all the craziness that is L.A., I found this sign that seemed out of place. Struck by the irony, I zoomed in for a picture and that's when I noticed that it's not from L.A. at all.
While L.A. was a lot of fun and I had a great time vacationing with family, I don't think L.A. is my kind of city. And I know that based on the traffic alone, Lubbock beats L.A. any day.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Kimberly, I saw this same sign just 3 weeks ago. At the beginning of school all teachers are given an area of rural or Hondo homes to visit and welcome kids back to school. Of course, my team ended up with a rural area. Many of those homes have locked gates so we just leave a school calendar with our "Welcome" in the mailbox. This particular gate had the "We don't call 911" sign and a man glaring at us from the other side as we stuffed a calendar in his mailbox. Kind of scary. By the way, his child is not in my class. Whew!