Sunday, May 14, 2017

Copy Cat/Copiadora

Katy was recently trying to mimic the way I was sitting with my legs crossed, feet tucked under my legs, and hands tucked into my lap.  As I watched her copy my movements, I told her, "You are a copy cat."  She replied, "You are a copycat," and then again, "You are a copy cat."  She likes to repeat any English words I speak to her and in doing so, proved my point about her being a copycat.  Then she said, "Eres un gato," followed by confused mumbling as she tried to figure out what copy means and how to translate it.  It's so awesome to watch her bilingual brain in action and also, to know I'm not the only one who struggles with idioms.

Katy recientamente trataba de imitar como yo estaba sentada con mis piernas cruzadas, pies doblados debajo de mis piernas, y manos en mi regazo.  Cuando vi como ella imitaba mis movimientos, le dije, "You are a copy cat." Me respondió, "You are a copycat," y otra vez, "You are a copy cat."  A Katy siempre le gusta copiar palabras que digo en Ingles y cuando lo hizo hoy, ella demostró que ella realmente es un copycat.  Entonces, Katy dijo, "Eres un gato," seguido por palabras que ella hablaba entre los dientes mientras trató a comprender la palabra "copy" y traducirla.  Es increíble a ver la mente bilingüe de Katy en acción y también, saber que no soy la única que tiene problemas traduciendo idiomas.


No comments: