Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Blonde Moments and More Inappropriate Things

Let me just preface this with the following: I consider myself to be an intelligent person. I generally do well in matters concerning my education, my personal integrity and my general well being. However, there are times when my mind slips into "blonde mode," which usually results in some degree of embarrassment.

That said, yesterday I went to the bank on my lunch break to set up my new checking account and order my new checks, blah, blah, blah. It took almost my entire lunch hour. I was left with only a few minutes to run into Arby's and get something that I could eat at the office. In an attempt to save time and energy, I decided to leave my purse in the car and take only my money and my keys inside with me. As the girl behind the counter asked me if my order was "for here or to go," I glanced down at my keys and instinctively replied "OH MY GOSH!" Of course the girl behind the counter didn't understand my response to her question, but I did. Upon glancing at my keys, I realized that I had taken my office keys into Arby's and had left my car keys (insert long pause) in the car. This was one of my blonde moments. I had locked my keys in the car. To make matters worse, my phone was in the car too. It sucked, especially because there was no spare key. I got a ride back to work and spent half hour calling locksmiths for the best deal. The locksmith I found was pretty reasonable, although a little shady. I guess you get what you pay for. The whole transaction, which took less than 5 minutes, had an under-the-counter feel to it. When the guy got out of the truck, the first thing that struck me was the abnormally large size of his arms and neck. I told Chris (my ride and knight in shining armor) that it looked like he was going to use sheer force to get the car open. But he turned out to be a pretty cool guy...he even showed us how to make our own slim- jim out of a bucket handle and how to use it to unlock car doors. That will surely come in handy if I ever decide to pursue a career in auto theft.

On a less embarrassing note, my normally uneventful and mundane sophomore literature class had some drama today. Seriously, this professor reminds me of Bob Ross sometimes. Anyhoo, This one guy who hasn't come to class since the first week of school showed up today. I guess he thinks that he can skip seven weeks of class, and an exam, and still get by. Whatever. The only reason I know that he stopped coming to class is because he is extremely annoying. He constantly interrupts the professor to make stupid remarks, even when the professor is visibly irritated with him. He has no sense of decency. Today, he showed up late and interrupted the professor as he entered the class room to make some stupid remark. He was carrying like ten different bags....so it was an interruption just getting to his seat. And then it started....his constant interruption. After only 3 or 4 minutes, the professor started scolding him. All similarities to Bob Ross disappeared, and he got down-right ugly. But this stupid guy, instead of just listening, started arguing with the professor. He actually told the professor that he didn't "like his attitude." The professor did not like this, and promptly asked him to leave. He left, but it took a few minutes to gather all his bags, and the whole time he was getting his stuff together this student was cussing at the professor about how he doesn't have to take this and how he was going to see the dean right then. Then, to make himself look worse, this guy asked the professor what his name was...I guess you wouldn't know if you never went to class. Everyone in the room just sat there and silently stared at their desk-tops. To top it all off, this guy stood outside the door and gave the professor the finger through the window. I have never seen anything like that happen in class. Try paying attention to a discussion on romantic poetry after an even like that...impossible.

No comments: