Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Current Annoyances

As all things seem to come in threes, here are my current annoyances, in no particular order. Please don't be offended or think that I am in an angry mood. I'm just letting out some steam.

1) My Cat: Not only does he think he is entitled to stay in the house, but he also thinks that my bed is actually his bed. And because it's his bed, it naturally follows that he is entitled to sleep in the middle, leaving no room for anyone else. In an attempt to reclaim my territory I have repeatedly locked him out, only to be subjected to his scratching and meowing throughout the night. When he's crafty enough to sneak into my room, he has managed destroy my property. Most recently, he clawed a hole in my new fish-net stockings while cat-napping on his bed, I mean my bed.

2) Natural Gas Rigs: The once-quite countryside has been invaded by an army of natural gas rigs. They are noisy, they are always running, and they are as bright as a stadium. Most unwelcome is the sound of semi-trucks gearing up and the high-pitched noise of bending metal. I am thankful that these unwelcome strangers in my neighborhood are only temporary.

3) Prepositions: Despite my conscious effort to quit ending sentences in prepositions, I can't stop asking things like "where did that come from," or "where is it at." This has got to be one of the worst rules in English grammar. Who really says, "From where did you get that?" It sounds so proper; too proper.

No comments: