Monday, October 7, 2013

Period Costumes at the McNay

Over the weekend, I saw a costume exhibit at an art museum.  Here is a costume that Johnny Depp wore in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.  


Most of the costumes were dresses, and most of the dresses were very elaborate pieces of craftsmanship.

I really like the monochromatic details in this
wedding dress from a Jane Eyre movie.
This dress has so many pleats, layers, patterns,
and textures.
Which is less flattering:The jelly-roll arms or
the form-swallowing waist that drapes from
above the bra line?

Many of the costumes were just impractical.

Please, I need at least 60 inches of floor space
at all times.
No sitting in this gown.
If the dress reflects red on the wall, the red is
certain to reflect on a woman's skin as well.
Woo-hoo for a ruddy complexion!  
Many of the dresses featured fur elements.  


Something simple to keep my hands warm.

"Feathers are not enough!  Quick, add some
fox tails!" 
Proper accessories include a pin, a hat, and a fox fur complete
with a head and four legs.
After seeing all the costumes, I realized that my "fancy" church clothes are very plain and boring, but also very comfortable.  I like comfortable.

2 comments:

laSonya said...

Think how much you could eat in that no waist dress :) I wish I could try all those dresses on. Don't you think that would be fun?

Kim said...

I thought the same thing while I was at the museum. I told one of the docents that they could improve the exhibit by allowing us to try on the costumes. She laughed at me.