Saturday, October 26, 2013

Postlude: My Food Vacation

Normally, when I visit a theme park, I seek out the cheapest food options and accept that I might go home hungry because I am not willing to spend $15 on a burger.  My Disney World vacation was the exception to this rule.  Not only did I spend five days at theme parks, but I also ate like a king thanks to a promotional discount on the Disney dining plan during the month of October.  I'll spare you the tedious details of the Disney dining plan.  Suffice it to say that there are lots of benefits to visiting Disney World in October: temperatures are lower (but still warm), average rainfall is lower (it didn't rain once during my vacation), crowds are lower (the kids are in school), and the Disney dining plan is free (FREE!). 

Taking full advantage of our free Disney dining plan, some of the dishes Chris and I tried include mickey-shaped macaroni, chicken artichoke flatbread, goat cheese ravioli, oak-fired fillet of beef with heirloom tomato risoto, yuzu-marinated sushimi, new england pot roast, fried herb and garlic cheese, smoked trout dip, olive oil poached salmon, chicken pot pie, peri-peri roasted chicken, Botswana style Seswaa short rib, Nigerian-style sea bass, Florida seasonal salad, and grilled chicken breast with sun-dried tomato spread.


Chris and I also tried a number of yummy desserts and snacks, including a mickey shaped ice cream bar and ice cream sandwich, a mickey shaped pretzel, a mickey shaped Rice Krispie treat dipped in chocolate and mini reese's pieces, a brownie and ice cream sundae, a root beer float cupcake, warm apple crisp, tanzanian chocolate cake with green tea ice cream, white chocolate cake with berry compote, mega-berry and mango smoothies, chocolate truffle mouse, pistachio and mint-chocolate chip ice cream, cheesecake, creme brulee, and banana stuffed, cinnamon dusted fritters with chocolate, caramel, and peanut butter dipping sauces.


Chris and I visited Epcot during the International Food and Wine Festival.  From Belgium we tried a Belgium waffle with chocolate ganache.  From China we tried Mongolian beef in a steamed bun and chicken pot stickers.  From Scotland we tried vegetarian haggis with neeps and tatties-griddled vegetables.  From Australia we tried a grilled lamb chop with mint pesto and potato crunchies.  Chris and I finished off our international tastings with a pair of delicious orange Dole whips.


Before I go on, please know that Chris I did not spend our entire vacation moving from one meal to another.  Chris and I each ordered separate appetizers, entrees, desserts, and/or snacks when we did eat, which we then shared with each other.  So, while we did eat more than normal when we actually sat down to eat, most days we ate only two meals, if not less.

Of all the delicious food I ate, my absolute favorite meal was the pilgrim's feast at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the Magic Kingdom.  The pilgrim's feast consisted of roast turkey, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  Thanksgiving dinner in October was a real treat.  

 

The final meal of my vacation took place at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport. Chris and I found a cereal and snack bar called Cereality that offered a number of different cereals with several different fruit or nut toppings.  I thoroughly enjoyed my Honey-Nut Cheerios and Special K with walnuts and craisins on the side. It was a perfect ending to a vacation full of good food. 

1 comment:

sunbee said...

I love food and this blog made me crave all those food that you posted! Especially the Mickey Mouse ice cream!