Thursday, October 24, 2013

From Epcot to Home

Top: With friends at Epcot in 2001
Bottom: At Epcot in 2013
Epcot was the last Disney World park that Chris and I visited during our trip.  The day started with an early breakfast reservation.  The downside to the early breakfast reservation was waking up before 7:00 a.m.  The upside to the early breakfast reservation was entering Epcot before it officially opened.  It was so nice to walk around the park while it was virtually empty.   At one point, I spun around in big circles with my arms spread out just because I could.

Look at all that empty real estate behind us.
Our early breakfast was not an ordinary breakfast, but a Norwegian breakfast buffet with Belle, Ariel, Cinderella, Snow White, and Princess Aurora.  I was surprised at the small size of the princesses.  I told Chris that either the princesses are small so as to cater to their primary audience (little girls) or they are small because they are princesses.  Chris dismissed my first theory and told me that I could never be a Disney princess.  I guess he might be right because the princesses make me look huge. 


She uses fairy dust to keep her hair curled.




The princesses spoke in soft high-pitched voices, smiled non-stop, and were very proper.  Ariel referred to everyone in the room as "the humans."  I was confused because she had legs and a voice, which meant that she had officially transformed into a human as well.

Chris and I rode all the big rides at Epcot, which are unlike the normal thrill rides found at a theme park.  One ride simulated the g-force experienced when riding a rocket into space.  Another ride consisted of three rows of 11 swinging seats inside a huge convex screen displaying ariel footage of California.  Chris was very excited to watch Captian EO, a 3D video in which Michael Jackson travels to another planet and saves the inhabitants with his singing and dancing.  Captian EO was presented in it's original 1986 version and was exactly as Chris recalled from his childhood visit to Disney Land. Chris was very excited to watch Captain EO, and it did not let him down. 

I also relieved a childhood memory at Epcot when I met Mary Poppins.  I loved watching Mary Poppins as a child.  I remember watching it over and over at my Mimi's house during the summer when my brother and I spent weeks at her house in New Mexico.  Mary Poppins reminds me of being a child laying on the brown carpet in Mimi's dark den watching Mary and Bert on her old TV, an old TV built into a bulky piece of wooden furniture.  I think I love Mary Poppins because it is associated with these happy memories.  


Fortunately, Mary Poppins did not disappoint.  She spoke with an English accent, maintained perfect posture, and scolded children for not standing with their feet together. Oh Mary!  Needless to say, meeting Mary Poppins was the highlight of my day.

The rest of the day at Epcot was spent in the World Showcase, which is a portion of the park recreating the architecture, food, and culture of different parts of the world. When I visited Epcot in high school, I had never traveled outside the United States.  It was very neat to visit Epcot again after having visited some of the places replicated in the park, like the Eiffel tower, Plaza San Marco, and the Butchart Gardens.  

Top at Epcot; bottom the real deal.  From left to right: Butchart Gardens, Eiffel Tower, Plaza San Marco, and
Trevi Fountain.

Chris and I stayed at Epcot until the final fireworks show at 9:00 p.m., making for a very long day.  The awesome fireworks, however, were worth the long day.

After a long day at Epcot, Chris and I prepared to return home.  We spent a morning bumming around our resort and then ate one final indulgent lunch.  

View from our Resort.
Saying good-bye to Mickey.
Bumming around the resort one final morning was a relaxing way to end our vacation, a vacation that I know Chris and I will repeat someday in the future.  Although we saw a lot during our trip, we left a lot of Disney World untouched and undiscovered.  Only time will tell if our next visit will be with or without little ones.  Either way, I know it will be magical.  

1 comment:

Sirill Benton said...

So what is a Norwegian Breakfast Buffet??