Monday, October 7, 2013

Furlough Wife

Today is day seven of the federal government's partial shutdown, which means today is also day seven of my status as a furlough wife.  As a furlough wife, I run errands, clean the house, cook the occasional meal, and take my dog on extra long walks.  Sometimes a forced stay-at-home vacation isn't so bad. 

Doug and I on an early morning walk.
A woman, however, can only tolerate so many domestic duty days before she becomes BORED OUT OF HER MIND!  Thankfully, on Thursday Chris and I drove to San Antonio along with some friends.  We started the long weekend with dinner downtown at Mi Tierra.  I was unable to order my favorite dish (the chicken gorditas) because it is only available as a lunch special, but I thoroughly enjoyed the festive atmosphere that is Mi Tierra.

I love all the lights at Mi Tierra.
On Friday, the boys headed to a local state park for two days of camping, long hikes, dehydrated food, and a duel with a small gang of rattle snakes (for real!).  The girls stayed in San Antonio.  We kept busy on Friday by visiting a local art museum, eating a late lunch at a historic home turned restaurant, and shopping at a speciality grocery store.

Trying on hats at the McNay Museum.
The grounds at the McNay.
The McNay Museum in the background.
Lunch at the Guenther House.
Friday Evening Vespers.
We finished off the day at the hotel pool.  We discovered that pool water is very chilly in October.  To overcome the shock of the chilly water, we decided to jump in the pool together.  This was followed by ten seconds of gasping and splashing from the shock of the water temperature.

On Saturday, the girls headed to Guadalupe River State Park.  We hiked along the river at our leisure, ate a picnic lunch, and swam in the shade of large cyprus trees.  To our surprise, the river was much warmer than the pool at the hotel. 

The girls under a Cyprus Tree.
Saturday worship by the Guadalupe River.
Exploring Guadalupe River State Park.
At the end of our hike, Rachella crossed the park boundary line.
The lovely Guadalupe River.
Enjoying the cool river water.
My silly face caused by a river creature pinching my bum. 
Guadalupe River State Park is a beautiful place.  I had such an absolutely wonderful day at the park that I forgot all about my furloughed status until I saw this sign along the freeway on the way home.  The other side of the sign read "Go ahead, shut it down."

Field politics.
As we were leaving Guadalupe River State Park, a state park ranger stopped Stella, who was driving for the day.  With a very serious face, the park ranger advised Stella that he wanted to talk to her about "her speeding."  She was driving 28 miles an hour.  I almost laughed at the park ranger when he very categorized 28 miles an hour as speeding, but I caught myself before making the situation worse.  We escaped with nothing more than a verbal warning, an unlikely outcome had I laughed at the park ranger's warning.

The boys returned on Sunday morning to shower at the hotel.  I was very glad the boys were back because my car had a dead battery that would not charge.  I think the boys enjoyed the opportunity to show off their mechanical skills.

Sean and Chris change the battery.
After replacing the battery in the vehicle, some of us made one final stop at Big Lou's for an oversized 42 inch pizza lunch.  We carried home our leftovers (of which there were plenty) in oversized pizza boxes.


The long weekend was awesome - a perfect retreat in the midst of my uncertain furlough status.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is certainly a Texas sized pizza. Hopefully, the government stops this foolishness soon :-P Are Texas state parks still opened?

Kim said...

Yes, Texas state parks are open. The shutdown only affects federal parks.

laSonya said...

I want to join you on an adventure! That museum looked fun! I want to try on hats!!!!