Monday, October 14, 2013

Furlough Life: Week Two

I've had a bit of free time on my hands lately, fourteen days of free time to be exact.  Here's what fourteen days of free time leads to:


That's Doug participating in an initial costume fitting.  He was less than thrilled about wearing a cardboard box, much less thrilled than he was during prior attempts to play dress-up with him.    


This week I also had time to watch the Monarch Butterflies migrating to Mexico.  


It was nice to watch the butterflies from the sidewalk instead of smashing droves of them with my car while driving to and from work.  Chris wasn't so lucky, however, as evidenced by the carnage on his radiator.


On Wednesday, I taught my Pathfinders the worm honor.  I love teaching the worm honor because it involves live worms.  I bought bait worms at Wal-Mart in the sporting department.  At least one of the bait worms tried to escape his destiny:


After we finished the worm honor, my Pathfinders asked if I could be their teacher next year as well as this year.  The worm honor earns a teacher major cool points.  

Other highlights from week two of my furlough include a picnic lunch, leading a Saturday evening vespers program, watching Disney movies in preparation for my upcoming vacation, attending my first high school football game in the Valley, and a last minute concert.  With so much going on lately, I'm not sure I'll have time to go back to work once the government reopens.  

No comments: